We all know how hard it is to cope with a new baby let alone think about loosing weight. After the baby is born there a few things that you can do that can slowly help shed the baby weight and one of the well known secrets is “breastfeeding” Here are a few tips that might help get you started.
Tip 1 – Weight loss will help you:
- Look and feel better.
- Reduce your risk of diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, cancer, and stroke.
Tip 2 – Wait six weeks after your baby’s birth to actively start weight loss.
- Your body needs time to rebuild after giving birth.
- Remember that each body is different so do not pressure yourself into fitting into those size 4 jeans.
Tip 3 – To lose weight, eat smart.
- Choose foods from the Food Guide Pyramid.
- Select lower fat, high fiber foods and watch portion sizes.
- Eat regular meals; don’t skip meals.
- Try to eat at least five fruits and vegetables each day.
Tip 4 – Lose weight slowly, about one to two pounds a week.
(If breastfeeding, no more than one pound a week.)
- Avoid strict diets.
- Combine smart eating with physical activity.
Tip 5 – Be physically active for 30 minutes most days, if not every day.
- Find activities you can enjoy.
- Pick activities that fit your lifestyle.
Bottom line: To reach and stay at a healthy weight, eat smart and be physically active.
Information provided by the South Carolina Health & Environmental Council